What is Estrogen?
Estrogen is the main hormone in HRT
Most of the symptoms we experience in perimenopause and menopause are due to fluctuating and falling estrogen levels.
We have receptors for this hormone in almost every part of our body – including our womb, bladder, heart, bones, skin, muscles and brain.
Low estrogen levels are at the heart of most of the classic menopausal symptoms including hot flushes, low moods and body aches.
How is the Estrogen in HRT given?
We can replace estrogen either in the form of a tablet, patch or gel.
There are tablets that contain just estrogen and there are also tablets that contain both estrogen and progesterone.
Estrogen only tablets
- Progynova – contains estradiol - fully funded.
- Ovestin - contains estriol - fully funded
- Estrofem – contains estradiol - part funded
- Premarin – contains conjugated equine estrogen - part funded
(all contain estradiol and norethisterone)
- Kliogest (higher dose estrogen and continuous progesterone) part funded
- Kliovance (lower dose estrogen and continuous progesterone) part funded
- Trisequens (cyclical progesterone) part funded
These contain estradiol.
- Estradot/Mylan/Estraderm - Patches are changed twice weekly - fully funded
- Climara – Patches are changed once weekly- not funded
- Sandrena – contains estradiol - not funded.
- Estrogel - contains estradiol - not funded
This is a localised treatment for the vagina, bladder and pelvic floor only. It helps improve vaginal dryness as well as urinary symptoms and pelvic floor problems. The estrogen does not get absorbed everywhere throughout the body, so it is not classed as HRT. It does not require any progesterone even in women who still have a womb. It can be used alone or alongside HRT.
Ovestin cream or pessaries – contains estriol - fully funded
What is Bio-Identical Estrogen?
- Progynova, Estrofem and Ovestin tablets
- Estradot and Climara patches
- Sandrena and Estrogel gels
- Ovestin cream/pessaries
How is the Estrogen in HRT derived?
What is the safest way to take Estrogen?
Can Estrogen be taken alone?
- Provera tablets
- Primolut tablets
- Utrogestan capsules
- Mirena coil